Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Walnut Acre Daily - Red Cabbage Soup and More

Words to Live By

Lord, you are my God;
    I will exalt you and praise your name,
for in perfect faithfulness
    you have done wonderful things,
    things planned long ago.
You have been a refuge for the poor,
    a refuge for the needy in their distress,
a shelter from the storm
    and a shade from the heat.
Isaiah 25:1, 4

Preschool and Kindergarten Homeschool Fun


Bible

We started our lesson time with prayer,  reviewing the memory verse for this month - Mark 12:30,  and singing our new theme song - I Love Jesus.

The we watched Young Man, Get Up, the story of how Jesus raised the widows son from the dead.



Phonics and Reading

We did the Starfall Vv phonics lesson and worksheet and reviewed the  "ad" word family flash cards.



Math

We exercised along with Lets Get Fit: Count to 100

Snow Unit

Since we have all this snow on the ground I decided to take a little break from our transportation unit and have some fun with a sn ow theme instead. So we watched the song - Little Snowflake and then played this Snowflake Matching game. 



Storytime

These are the books I read with the kids for storytime this afternoon. 


Other Books We Enjoyed Today




The first two books are the books I read from with CJ this evening before bed. In Singing Wheels we read about how Ma dyed fabric to make something for her daughter. 

The third book is one I've just begun listening to on LibriVox. I love it that I can listen to many books for free on LibriVox. Since I enjoy learning about the lives of other people and seeing the world through their eyes I thought I would start making my way through the Biography section.

In the Kitchen

Breakfast - Cereal with Milk, Bananas and Juice

Lunch - Today was Austin's day to make lunch and he chose to fix pizza, fries and corn. We also had butter bread because with CJ home from school and Doug off work today I thought we might need to make the food stretch a little more. 


For dinner this evening I made Red Cabbage Soup and Peppery Cheese Bread. The soup was a first for us and we (Doug, CJ and I) really liked it. I chose this evening to make it because neither Austin or Amanda would enjoy vegetable soups of any kind and they were not home for dinner this evening. I never know which way Michael is going to with something like this, some days he likes it and other days he doesn't. 




Red Cabbage Soup

1 pound savory seasoned ground chicken
1 onion, chopped
1 head red cabbage, chopped
1 28 ounce can stewed tomatoes
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
5 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. thyme
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pan add chopped onion to ground chicken and brown chicken. Add all other ingredients and cook until vegetables are tender. 

Enjoy!

This is a hearty soup packed full of nutrition.

 Recipes From Around the Web


Around the House

I cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast, did some laundry and organized some of the crafts and learning activities we've been using the last few weeks.

Austin took care of the chickens and the outside dog the morning and this evening, cleaned up the kitchen after lunch and did the evening cleaning in the upstairs bathroom. 

Amanda dusted the living room, did some laundry, took care of the inside dog and the cats, and did the evening cleanup in the mudroom and downstairs bathroom. 

Outdoor Fun

Michael played outside for just a little this morning but other than that we stayed inside. There were just too many little ones today and not everyone had changes of clothes here so they could change in to dry clothes after playing in the snow.

Furry, Feathered, and Four Footed Friends

Amanda gave the inside animals their monthly Frontline dose this morning. She's getting very good at giving the animals the care they need, from keeping their cages clean to any medications they need. Our oldest cat is on medication to slow down the growth of his cancer and she takes care of making sure he has that every morning.

Out and About

Doug and CJ took a load of trash to the landfill this morning. Austin, Amanda and Michael went to their grandparents house for the evening. 

Other Notes and News

Our power went out this afternoon for about an hour while crews were working on the lines. After I put on facebook that of course now that the power is out I want to make a cup of coffee my sister, who lives just down the road and had power, brought me a hot cup of cofffee. That made my day!

Just Having Fun Together

The Little People Playset is still the big favorite!


Reading Around the Web


Today's Quote

The color of springtime is in the flowers; the color of winter is in the imagination. ~ Terri Guillemets

Daily Deals





~ Linking Here ~

2 comments:

  1. Most of my family doesn't like cabbage. Red cabbage is probably higher on the list than green cabbage. I do buy and cook green cabbage a few times a year just because I get a craving for it. I like it in soups and stir-fry. My kids eat it, but they aren't fond of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves cabbage and I try to serve it often. I really like the idea of adding meat to this dish and serving it warm. Nothing like a warm salad to add more vegetables to a winter diet. Thanks for sharing with us at No Ordinary Blog Hop. Every blessing, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete