Thursday, February 12, 2015

Our Window Vegetable Garden

OK, we're well into February now and that's when my gardening urge always kicks in full strength. But it's too early to plant anything outside. So the kids and I did the next best thing - we started a window garden. Our pot to plant in were cute little tins that I bought at Goodwill. We used Miracle Grow potting mix. When we opened the bag of potting mix we found it was already so moist we didn't even have to add water. Less mess is always good for me. We planted radishes and spinach.






Then we hung the tins from a curtain rod in a south facing window. I'm planning to add a second curtain rod to this window with more time of plants and also some plants on the windowsill.




Already our radish seeds are sprouting and growing. It looks like we're going to have to do some thinning to make room for them to grow properly. The spinach seeds aren't up yet but I'm sure they will be soon.




Last week I wrote about regrowing kitchen scraps. Here's the update on that little project. The lettuce has done absolutely nothing and I'm going to throw it out. The celery, however, is just starting to show very tiny shoots of new growth.


And that's how our garden grows in February.




LINKING HERE
SUNDAY - Sunday Features, Share It One More TimeThat DIY Party, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, MONDAY - Monday MadnessModest Mom BlogThe Art of Home-Making Mondays Mommy Moments,  Clever Chicks Blog Hop TUESDAY - So Much at Home Blog Linkup WEDNESDAY - Raising Homemakers Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop ,Capture Your Journey THURSDAY - The Inspiration Gallery , Create it Thurday SATURDAY -Saturday Soiree, My Favorite Things




4 comments:

  1. I put my lettuce core in water and it started growing leaves from the sides. I made the mistake of cutting off the top (because I read to do it) and the little side shoots started dying. Oh well. You should try it again in water. When the leaves start growing, transplant it to dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, what a fun lesson in growth and life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project, I love that idea. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun and productive day. I like the hanging pots :)

    ReplyDelete